The reason for lips turning black can be due to quite a few factors, and most people are often asked, “Why are my lips turning black even when I don’t smoke?” Below, we have discussed in detail the reasons for the darkening of lips, which you must read.
Hyperpigmentation of the lips occurs most commonly in people who are exposed to excessive sunlight and who smoke; otherwise, anemia, which is an iron deficiency, may cause both a darkening and a lightening of the lips. It is better to get evaluated if you are not a smoker and to avoid sunlight exposure if you are not a smoker.
What are the causes of dark lips?
- Smoking: Nicotine and other chemicals present in cigarettes can discolor the lips and make them darker.
- Excessive sun exposure: UV rays can darken the lips, especially if they are not protected with sunscreen or lip balm.
- Dehydration: Dry, chapped lips can appear darker than well-hydrated ones.
- Allergies: Certain ingredients in lip balms or other products can cause an allergic reaction, resulting in darkened lips.
- Hormonal changes: Pigmentation changes, including darkening of the lips, can occur due to hormonal imbalances.
- Nutritional deficiencies, such as iron deficiency and vitamin B12 deficiency, may cause dark lips.
- Genetics: Some people may be predisposed to having darker lips due to genetics.
- Certain medical conditions: Certain medical conditions, such as anaemia or Addison’s disease, can cause darkening of the lips.
- Excessive licking of the lips: Excessive licking of the lips can cause them to become dry and dark.
- Certain medications: Certain medications can cause darkening of the lips as a side effect.
- Lip pigmentation disorders: Melasma affects the lips as well as the skin, causing dark patches.
Lip Lightening Treatment
It is important to protect your lips from the sun before taking the lip lightening treatment, and you can use lip lightening cream. The creams are effective, but they rarely maintain good results over time.
A laser treatment may also be an option, and some combinations of treatments, such as peeling and medications, may work, but the results will vary from patient to patient.
Home Remedies to Prevent Dark Lips
1. Lemon and honey
Cut the lemon and extract its juice; mix a small amount of sugar powder in it; and rub it on the lips in the circulation direction for 3 to 5 minutes. Once that is done, rub honey on your lips in the circulation direction for 5 minutes, and keep it like this for another 5 minutes. This will moisturise your lips, and you can do it 2-3 times a week to see results in a few days.
Mix 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds, 1 tablespoon rose water, and 1 tablespoon fresh dairy cream, and massage it well for 3-5 minutes. Then, wash it with cold water. You can also do this daily.
Make a paste of milk and turmeric in sufficient quantity to apply on your lips. Apply this paste to your lips and wash them with cold water after 15 minutes. Because turmeric inhibits melanin, you’ll see the best results by applying it to your lips.
4. Apple cider vinegar
Dissolve 1 teaspoon of apple vinegar in 1 teaspoon of water and apply it to your lips with the help of cotton, then wash it off after 10 to 12 minutes. A natural lightening agent, apple cider vinegar, removes pigmentation from lips. That’s why this hom
A vitamin B12 deficiency can cause your lips to turn dark. Having less than 200 pg/mL will cause your lips to turn dark. Your vitamin B12 level should be between 200 pg/mL and 900 pg/mL. You should consume vitamin B12-rich foods such as fish, soybeans, eggs, cheese, low-fat milk, red meat, silken tofu, trout, chicken breast, animal liver or kidneys, and many others.
Depending on your skin tone, your lip colour should range from reddish pink to brown. If your natural lip colour or appearance changes, it can indicate potential health issues and problems.
- Chapped lips: These can indicate dehydration and exposure to the sun.
- Lip swelling: This can indicate an allergy or food sensitivity.
- Discolored lips: This can indicate anemia, smoking, or excessive coffee.
- Burning lips: This can indicate anxiety and depression.
- Reddish pink to brown lips: This can indicate healthily.