Worldwide, liver cancer ranks among the most deadly cancers. If you have been an alcoholic for a long time, you may develop liver cancer at any time. A liver cancer diagnosis is the third most common cause of cancer-related death. According to estimates, 830,180 people around the world will die from liver cancer in 2020.
After diagnosis, only 4 out of 10 (almost 40%) liver cancer patients survive for at least 5 years. In the case of cancer that has spread to nearby tissues, organs, or lymph nodes, the 5-year survival rate is 12%.
Why is Liver Cancer So Deadly?
The primary cause of liver cancer is thought to result from a combination of chronic hepatitis B virus infection and dietary exposure to aflatoxin B1, which is contaminated with the mold Aspergillus flavus that grows on corn and peanuts. That’s why it’s so deadly.
More factors can contribute to liver cancer deadly, including :
- Hepatitis C infection
- Alcohol consumption
Liver: Location, Functions
The liver plays an important role in the body. The liver is located below the lungs and on the right side of the abdomen. The liver filters the blood coming from the digestive tract and passes this clean blood forward. The digestive system is the organ with the help of which food and drink are digested in the body. Here are listed 10 primary functions of the liver
What is liver cancer?
Liver cancer is a very broad term. The most common type of liver cancer is hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), which is also referred to as the “primary cancer.” If metastases to another organ occur in the liver, it is called secondary liver cancer.
Is Any Liver Cancer Curable?
Depending on your stage of cancer when diagnosed, you may be able to complete the cure. Surgically removing the affected portion of the liver is known as resection. An operation to replace a damaged liver with a healthy one involves a liver transplant.
What to Eat and What Not to Eat in Liver Cancer
After having liver cancer, you need to pay more attention to your diet. Before beginning a good diet, you should understand why you should do so. A liver cancer patient may show symptoms like weakness and fatigue, and to come out of this weakness, you need to take a well-balanced diet.
Chemotherapy, immunotherapy, surgery, and liver transplantation for the treatment of liver cancer take a toll on mental and physical energy. So to boost mental and physical energy, we need to have a well-balanced diet.
Foods to Eat and drink
- Lean proteins: You should eat more lean protein sources such as skinless chicken, egg whites, fish, tofu, and beans.
- Fruits and vegetables: Liver cancer patients are always told to eat fresh fruits and vegetables such as spinach, carrots, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, squash, and sweet potatoes. Fruits include apples, berries, oranges, and cantaloupes.
- Whole grains: Eat whole grains such as rye, pumpernickel, oatmeal, whole grain bread, brown rice, quinoa, and whole wheat bagels.
- Ginger: If you are addicted to tea, then you can drink ginger tea. After liver cancer, you see symptoms like nausea. Therefore, ginger tea can be a good option for nausea.
- Healthy fats: Consuming healthy fats can help your body absorb essential nutrients and antioxidants. Include fish oil, avocado, almonds, olive oil, and seeds in your diet.
- Water : Along with a balanced diet, it is also important to stay hydrated. You must consume 3 to 4 liters of water or other fluids per day. If you have advanced liver cirrhosis and cancer inside it, your doctor may reduce your fluid intake.
Foods and Drinks to Avoid
- Foods high in salt: Avoid sodium-rich canned soups, cured meats, and potato chips.
- Alcohol : There is no direct relationship between alcohol and liver cancer. Drinking occasionally is okay, but excessive drinking can cause health problems. Alcohol consumption can cause chronic liver damage, including cirrhosis or scarring of the liver, which can increase the risk of liver cancer.
- Sugary foods: It is only when you quit sweet foods that you will see the benefits of a good diet. You should stop consuming sweetened beverages, cakes, cookies, and candies immediately and follow your dietician’s diet plan.
Depending on your health, your doctor or dietician may advise you to consume more calories or protein. As a result, liver function and healing may be enhanced.
It is possible for liver cancer to affect more than one organ in your body. This cancer is considered very deadly. That is why you must seek treatment as soon as possible. Stage A liver cancer has a 3-year median survival rate without treatment. If you see any symptoms of liver cancer, consult a specialist as soon as possible.